On October 1, 1931, Pilgrim State Hospital opened in Brentwood, New York. It wouldn’t be long before it was the largest psychiatric hospital in the world.
Pilgrim State Hospital, also known as Pilgrim Psychiatric Center, was what is known as a “farm colony.” These colonies came about around 1900, as a solution to hospital overcrowding. Patients and staff would live side by side, often growing their own food for both survival and therapy.
However, after controversies surrounding lobotomies and electroshock therapy surfaced in the 1970s, the colony closed. Today, the old hospital is abandoned…and super, super creepy.